Devised over 25 years ago, “The Effective Service Manager” was created to address the growing demand for specialised service management training and development within the service industry.
Since then, it’s been constantly redefined and perfected to help not only new managers but also more experienced managers who want to keep learning.
“The only thing worse than training your employees and losing them is not training your employees and keeping them” – Zig Ziglar
How does it work?
The service manager training programme comprises of interactive modules, each covering core skills needed to be successful in a Service Manager role.
Making the transition from service engineer to service manager is fraught with challenges; this programme is designed to help make that transition as smooth as possible, but can also be effective in re-motivating more experienced managers!
Its modular format gives the delegates’ time to assimilate new knowledge and skills, and the opportunity to implement action plans in between each module.
After all the modules have been completed, each delegate will benefit from 1:1, individual coaching should they need it. We want all attendees to be able to implement everything they’ve learned, regardless of their previous experiences.
Upcoming course information
We run public management training courses throughout the year. You can find out more information about the ones we’re currently running below.
The Effective Service Manager Course
This 3-module course explores the role of an effective Service Manager, including the key skills you need to develop to motivate, inspire and educate your team.
Module 1 9th — 11th November 2021
Module 2 7th — 9th December 2021
Module 3 11th — 13th January 2022
- The Role Of The Manager: What is the managers’ function? The key skills needed for effective management
- The Manager As A Motivator: What is motivation? – The theory and practice – Strategies for improvement – Motivation questionnaire
- Management Styles: Open vs. closed – Strengths and weaknesses – Matching the style to the team
- Team Building: How can we do this? – 9 Strategies for effective team building – Dealing with conflict – Characteristics of top teams
- Introduction To Counselling & Coaching: What is it? – Developing the skills – How and when to use it – A coaching log
- Action Plan: Each delegate will set tasks to be implemented and monitored before module 2
- Review Of Module 1 Action Plan
- Preparing The Counselling/Coaching Session: The G.R.O.W. Model – How to run an effective session – The 5 Ds of counselling – Potential problems
- Peak Performance Through Goal Setting: Setting S.M.A.R.T goals – Why people don’t set goals – Overcoming limitations – Why traditional goal setting doesn’t work – “The steps to success”
- Emotional Intelligence: – What is it and why is it important? – E.Q. vs. I.Q. – Why we lose customers – The hard case for soft skills – E.Q. personal assessment
- Effective Communication: – The stages – The obstacles – Overcoming the “blocks” – Listening and perception – Body language – Developing rapport
- Giving Feedback: – Giving criticism constructively – Some rules – Stimulate through praise and recognition
- Action Plan: Each delegate will set tasks to be implemented and monitored before module 3
- Review Of Module 2 Action Plans
- Time Management: A personal time log – How do we use our time? – The “Time Stealers” – Making better use of our time – Stress and time management
- Meetings: Types of meetings – Running effective meetings – Handling the “characters” – How to plan effective meetings
- Delegation: Delegation analysis – The “why” and “how” of delegation – 6 steps to better delegation
- Disciplinary Situations: How to run them – Preparation – Pitfalls to avoid – Checklist
- Transactional Analysis: What is it? – How did it develop? – Using T.A. as a tool to enhance our communication skills
- Interviewing And Induction: The key skills – How to run them effectively – Induction checklist
- Action Plan: Each delegate will prepare a final set of tasks to be implemented following module 3